Friday 13 July 2007

My thoughts on the Mika thing

Mika exposes the flaws in my moral high ground...

I like to like QueerTheory- it supports the idea that we can do away with labels and categories for our sexual identities... its almost anti-identity itself.

I like to think therefore that sexual identities aren't important, and are more often than not somewhat detrimental, offering cloudy definitions, and blurry generalisations rather than illuminating their subjects.

Mika reads like a Queer theorist but one who hasn't grasped the adequate vocabulary to express his opinion.

“I suppose it’s because I never really wanted to box myself in. Anyone can label me, but I’m not willing to label myself. Does it limit the way that I live my life? No. I still do whatever I want."

and that means i find his claims to dislike labels appear disingenuous... but that's just the feeling i cant shake
there's evidently very little difference between rejecting labels, and never giving yourself a label to begin with.

in fact maybe hes seeing things more queerly than i?

and so i feel hypocritical that hes doing better than me but making such a mess of it in the process.

he could use his newly queer position of being in identity limbo to inform us how we can do the same.

and yet problems persist. academically i don't want to know about Mika's sexual orientation / identity.

but humanely i want him to acknowledge he is a sexual human being.
and not -pretentiously- above the baseness of the rest of us sexual creatures

and i certainly don't want to see him exalted -by Americans, by housewives, by daily mail readers- for his lack of sexuality, in a world where the undisguised visibility of difference can often be cause for discrimination.

does he bat for billy browns team or does he pull fat lasses at the butterfly lounge?
it doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter but it does


and this says more about me than him

maybe in time ill learn to accept this new radical queer thing that I'm supposed to be in favour of

perhaps being hit with a practical example I'm just shocked after all my hypothesising

but his he really the queer artist i dreamed of?

No comments: