Friday 3 August 2007

Friday Review: M.I.A - Kala

M.I.A, KalaThis album is out early in Japan, and it just goes to show how this girl is potentially the first universally recognised underground popstar. Well shes possibly about to get overblown to ginormous proportions once you all hear this album. In one week its become one of my favourites of this year.

We open with 'Bamboo Banga' a world sweeping intro telling us that "M.I.A is coming back with power power." and this is far from pop-hyperbole. The next track 'Bird Flu' for me is generic M.I.A in all her genre defying ways.

"A protocol to be a Rocawear model? It didn't really drop that way my legs hit the
hurdle. A protocol to be a rocker on a label? It didn't really drop that way our
beats were too evil "


'Boyz' is now the most infectious song I've ever heard, until that is you pass onto new -Timbaland produced- single 'Jimmy'. It's like a Bollywood Abba, or M.I.A meets Madonna's 'Hung Up', except its better and refers to a genocide tour in Darfur. I can so see Earth Mother Madge trying to ape this politically conscious sound.



'Hussel' is a huge sounding track, and leads into the middle of the album, with some more of that world sound unique to M.I.A, ('Mango Pickle Downriver' is a slice of life narrative but isn't great for repeated listens? and '$20' is the sheer noisiest thing here) Things get amazing again at 'World Town' "Hands up Guns out, represent that world town" but I love this mainly cos it seeps into the mellow 'The Turn'. 'World Town' also borrows the gun reload sample that makes a triumphant return on outstanding track 'Paper Planes' which is along with 'Jimmy' an outstanding track.

To round of the album you have this Timbaland track thats good but happily fades in comparison to this album...

No comments: